Technical Advisor, Vaw Prevention Influencing At Raising Voices
Technical Advisor, Vaw Prevention Influencing At Raising Voices 1 PositionEmploi Recruitment
Department: Violence Against Women (VAW) Prevention
Supervised by: VAW Prevention Coordinator
Place of work: Kampala, Uganda OR Remote with extended trips to Kampala when COVID-safe
The Technical Advisor for Influencing provides strategic and inspiring leadership for the implementation of the VAW prevention Influence strategy that strives to ensure that practice-based learning and feminist perspectives inform key program and policy related decisions for effective VAWprevention programing in regionally and globally.
Key Result Areas Duties and Responsibilities
• Lead the strengthening and development of new and existing initiatives and set strategic directions for VAW prevention Influencing efforts at Raising Voices.
• Remain updated with the emerging issues and discourse within the VAW prevention field.
• Initiate and identify opportunities for VAW prevention collective activism and strategic initiatives including working groups, reviews of policy and program documents, planning and implementing advocacy activities.
• Plan and facilitate advocacy events and feminist processes.
• Participate in strategic reviews and planning processes at organizational; departmental and team levels.
Development and dissemination of publications
• Lead full cycle of publication development (writing, reviews, revision, design supervision, dissemination, uptake) of policy briefs, think pieces, journal articles and advocacy pieces on critical VAW prevention issues.
• Develop content and updates for the Raising Voices website.
• Develop feminist communications that convey Raising Voices’ core advocacy aims for VA prevention.
Support Collective Activism
• Lead the Raising Voices contribution to the Accountability Pillar of What Works II.
• Lead the development of an African Feminist Collective on VAW prevention to elevate activist leaders and organizations on the Continent in global discourses and processes.
• Support the regional influencing efforts of the GBV Prevention Network, in particular the Prevention Pop-Ups and subsequent follow up/actions.
• Participate in other collective processes and groups such as CUSP, COFEM, the Shared Accelerator, etc as needed and relevant.
• Develop materials, learning events, publications and partnerships to capitalize on opportunities that promote the goals of joint and Raising Voices-led initiatives.
Planning, assessing and reporting
• Coordinate the preparation of annual, quarterly work plans and specific activities plans for the influence team; and monitor and assess quality of activities, and revise plans if required.
• Track progress of the work and record in the organizational learning framework, engage in R&A discussions to generate learnings.
• Ensure timely reports for activity, quarterly and annual are prepared for the VAW influence using organizational reporting template.
• Identify learning agenda for the area and support learning initiatives.
• Lead in the preparation of annual budget for VAW prevention Influencing work to enable implementation of annual work plans.
• Review monthly financial reports and provide feedback.
• Ensure financial and other resources are utilized efficiently and effectively.
Relationship building and partnership management
• Build and maintain mutually productive relationships with partners and other like-minded organizations.
• Represent Raising Voices in regional and global forums and events.
• Hold regular reflection with partners to enable strategic evolvement of partnership
• Work in a feminist, collaborative and accountable way with all members of the VAW prevention team and Raising Voices more generally.
• Work in close collaboration with the VAW Prevention Coordinator and Co-Director.
• Supervise, mentor and support any VAW Prevention Influencing interns and consultants.
• Participate and co-facilitate in VAW prevention team and Raising Voices meetings, staff retreats, reviews, strategies and processes.
• Support in preparation and facilitation of team and staff development sessions.
• Understand other areas of Raising Voices work and explore ways to build synergies.
• Any other related duties assigned
• Minimum – BA Degree in development, social work, gender, human rights fields or related area, MA is a plus.
• At least 5 years of NGO experience in a senior position in Africa.
• Demonstrated experience implementing VAW prevention programmes, including influencing program and policy decisions.
• Experience in coordinating coalitions or working groups.
• Production and dissemination of publications and communication campaigns.
• Experience in promote women’s rights within a feminist framework.
• In-depth knowledge of a feminist analysis of violence against women.
Essential Skills & Competences
• Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
• Excellent strategic planning, analysis and visioning skills.
• Committed to feminist activism.
• Maintains high standards of quality programming and professionalism.
• Exhibits high levels of professionalism – good communication skills, time management, takes initiative, meets deadlines, is honest and cooperative.
• Contributes to positive organizational culture, embodies the core values of Raising Voices.