Nutrition Officer at AEE Rwanda
Position: Nutrition Officer (3)
Report to: Project Coordinator
About African Evangelistic Enterprise (AEE) Rwanda
AEE is a Christian local relief, development, and advocacy organization established in 1987 and dedicated to working with children, families, and their communities to address root causes of poverty and injustice. AEE’s relief and development work is accomplished through programs of health, nutrition, agriculture, education, peacebuilding and reconciliation, emergency response, and youth/women entrepreneurship. AEE works closely with CRS Rwanda to promote Inclusive Nutrition and Early Childhood Development initiatives in both rural and urban settings.
Purpose of the position:
Working closely with the health sector in the district and the community health workers to conduct food demonstration, growth monitoring, and promotion within the community groups. Support developing and dissemination of Information and Education Communication materials on nutrition practices. Supervision to community groups to ensure nutrition and food security interventions are routinely implemented
Training & capacity building
- Provide trainings/orientation/technical inputs to staff, community structure members on nutrition and health monitoring and promotion at a community level.
- Capacity building of Staff in nutrition knowledge and skills.
- Conduct nutrition and hygiene training through cooking demonstration as well as sensitization
- Build the capacity of the community groups to adopt and replicate nutrition practices
- Conduct follow-up trainings to pregnant and lactating mothers on balanced diet, food preparation, and handling.
- Coordinate with the technical staff coming from across Sectors for planning and implementation of the nutrition components within the Project
Implementation of Nutrition component
- Lead in sensitization of beneficiaries on Nutrition and hygiene practices.
- Map out the local staple food and sensitize the community on utilization such alternatives while upholding the nutritional composition (balanced diet)
- Working closely with the district and community representatives to map out the target groups and beneficiaries
- Working closely with the health sector in the district and the community health workers to conduct food demonstration, growth monitoring and promotion within the community groups
- Oversee establishment and utilization of basic hygiene practices: especially Hand washing equipment
- Work closely with the Community structure members to ensure adherence to nutrition and hygiene practices: waste disposal, dry rack, compost pits, hand washing equipment
- Support in the development of key nutrition and hygiene messages for dissemination during sensitization campaigns
- Ensure appropriate management, referral, and linkage to care of the malnourished identified during growth monitoring and promotion
Accounting and reporting
- Ensure all the planned nutrition activities are executed and reported on
- Conduct monitoring visits to community groups and Programme beneficiaries and compile monitoring reports for onward consolidation
- Consolidate, compile, and submit quality reports to Project Coordinator as directed.
- Ensure that all reports are highly accurate, comprehensive, well documented, and will guarantee the credibility of the program.
- Ensure monthly progress report is completed and submitted for onward compilation
Networking & external engagements
- Actively engage the health facility, the beneficiaries, and the technical team from the District Local Government to participate on nutrition and hygiene interventions within the communities
- Support developing and dissemination of Information and Education Communication materials on nutrition and hygiene practices.
- Supervision to community groups to ensure nutrition and food security interventions are routinely implemented
- Coordination with Nutrition partner(s) for common messaging and promotion of nutrition-sensitive programming.
- Coordination and networking with nutrition partners in the district to support implementation of the nutrition interventions
- Other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor
Qualifications: Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience.
- Holder of degree in Nutrition studies
- Must be a Rwandan
- Must have 2 years experience in community nutrition programming & management, and Nutrition survey and assessments.
- NGO background and experience in the countryside would be an added advantage
- Willing to work under extreme hardship with limited resources.
- Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills in the English language and knowledge of French language is an added advantage
- Must have experience in establishment and functionalization of community support group for health, food, and nutrition security
- Track record demonstrating high integrity, reliability, and dependable
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Computer literate
- Writing and reporting skills
- Networking and influencing skills
- Hold a valid Driving License (Category A)
- The position requires the ability and willingness to travel domestically up to 60% of the time.
Note: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job.
Increase your chances of landing this job by updating your CV:Request HERE:OR CALL/TEXT/WHATSAPP 0702068282