Marketing And Business Development Advisor At Giz Rwanda.
Marketing And Business Development Advisor At Giz Rwanda. 1 PositionEmploi Recruitment
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a federally owned international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations. GIZ has worked in Rwanda for over 30 years. The primary objectives between the Government of Rwanda and the Federal Republic of Germany are poverty reduction and promotion of sustainable development. To achieve these objectives, GIZ Rwanda is active in the sectors of Decentralization and Good Governance, Economic Development and Employment Promotion, Energy, and ICT (Information and Communications Technology).
Energising Development (EnDev), implemented by GIZ, is launching the Reducing climate impact of cooking in Rwanda through improved cooking energy systems (ReCIC) programme. This consist of a Multi-donor Action jointly co-financed by the European Union, as part of the Global Climate Change Alliance (GCCA+) initiative and the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development.
Through ReCIC, EnDev aims to set up a sustainable production and dissemination chain for improved cookstoves (ICS) as well as for improved or alternative fuels in Rwanda through a threefold approach: 1) increase production capacities, 2) consumer awareness 3) increase dissemination of ICS and improved fuels.
ReCIC will support a wide range of ICS and fuels by giving the choice to the Rwandan users to adopt the most appropriate technology according to their needs and purchasing power through a market-based approach. In doing so, producers of both ICS and alternative fuels will be enabled to grow and professionalise their businesses, and eventually transition into a semi-industrial production with bigger output and improved quality products to better serve the Rwandan market. The ReCIC programme is aligned with the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the Biomass Energy Strategy (BEST) of the government of Rwanda.
One approach to achieve the goals of the programme consist of increasing consumer awareness through marketing activities (i.e. radio and TV advertisements) and community mobilisation (i.e. education campaigns). Moreover, the advisor will provide guidance and build capacity in the areas of marketing, sales, behavior change, and business development through training or coaching sessions aimed at producers, retailers, and/or end-users. To successfully implement ReCIC action, EnDev Rwanda is searching for one candidate for the position of Marketing and Business Development Advisor.
The candidate must demonstrate working experience and a strong understanding of marketing. Candidate must demonstrate excellent communication skills and have excellent written and oral skills in Kinyarwanda and English. Moreover, the candidate must have the skills to effectively design, implement, and measure the impact of marketing and awareness-raising campaigns for ICS and fuels across Rwanda. The candidate should feel confident about public speaking as he/she will design or conduct training on marketing, customer service, and selling strategies.
Understanding the importance of market-oriented strategies in context of nascent markets and willingness to learn are a must, background knowledge in climate change energy desirable but not mandatory.
Fixed Term: October 2025
A. Main Tasks and Responsibilities:
1. Create and implement the marketing and community mobilisation strategies for ReCIC:
- Support the conception and production of marketing material to promote ICS and fuels. This includes e.g. presentations, posters, billboards, PR gadgets (such as t-shirts), etc.;
- Support the conception and production of a nationwide marketing campaigns for ICS and improved fuel. This includes, e.g. road shows, cooking demonstrations, radio and TV advertisements, umuganda activities;
- Implement multi-level public relations and awareness-raising campaigns to promote the advantages of improved and efficient cooking technologies;
- Collaborate with consultants and service providers to produce and disseminate all marketing materials and media;
- Support production of marketing material for ICS and fuels producers and retailers;
- Design tools to keep record of activities and measure impact of marketing and community mobilization strategies;
- Create educational toolkits and marketing guides aimed at producers, retailers (e.g. agents or retail shops), and end-users.
2. Co-Design and conduct training and/or coaching sessions on business plan development, marketing, sales strategy, and customer service:
- Conduct research on best practices in terms of behaviour change, marketing strategies, and business models in the ICS sector and adjust it to the local contexts with support of programme coordinator;
- Co-design training materials and guides on business development, business models, marketing, sales, customer service, and alike;
- Conduct training and coaching sessions aimed at producers and retailers;
- Conduct awareness sessions on the advantages of ICS and the proper usages of ICS and alternative fuels.
3. Other duties/tasks:
- Support the development of communications and a PR strategy to promote ReCIC;
- Conduct market research and other short inquiries based on programme’s needs;
- Support ICS coordinator in the design and media selection for publications and programme status reports;
- Perform any other duties and tasks at the request of the management including but not limited to activities related to marketing, community, monitoring and evaluation, and business development for ICS and fuel markets.
B. Required qualifications, competences, and experience
Qualifications and Professional experience
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business, communications, business administration or relevant field; a master’s degree in relevant field is an asset;
- At least 5 years’ professional experience in a comparable position; ideally with strong focus in marketing or sales; having held a first Senior Position will be an asset;
- Working experience in an international organization/NGO or private sector.
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Ability to work on one’s own initiative and to work as team player
- Eagerness to travel regularly to the field and engage with target groups
- Strongly skilled in project management
- Curious and quick learner as well as good understanding why details matter
- Persistent and quality-focused on the tasks, but at the same time creative and open-minded
- Excellent communication skills; able to ask the right questions
- The ability for abstraction; not only fulfilling instructions without scrutinizing
- Strong working knowledge of ICT (e.g. MS Office); good knowledge of design software (i.e. Adobe package or CoreIdraw) is an asset
- Excellent knowledge of English and Kinyarwanda, orally and written; ability to express oneself in clear sentences with relevant context;
- Ability to write and proofread in Kinyarwanda and English with rigor and precision in grammar and spelling is an absolute must;
- Willingness to learn new skills as required by the tasks to be performed