Laboratory Specialist – Usaid Stawisha Pwani At Center For International Forestry Research (cifor)
Laboratory Specialist – Usaid Stawisha Pwani At Center For International Forestry Research (cifor) 1 PositionEmploi Recruitment
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya; Yaounde, Cameroo.
Project: USAID Stawisha Pwani
Reports to: Health Systems Strengthening Specialist
The Laboratory Specialist will implement and monitor laboratory systems strengthening initiatives according to international standards, donor and MoH requirements. S/he will implement a laboratory capacity building and networking strategy and support laboratory training, mentorship, technical assistance, and quality assurance activities to build the capacity of facility staff, government counterparts and local partners in supported laboratory facilities. S/he will take lead in the lab-clinical interface to improve patient monitoring and use of laboratory results for clinical decision making.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Prepare and oversee implementation of laboratory work plan in consultation with county and sub-county medical laboratory coordinators (s/CMLC).
- In liaison with county and sub-county medical laboratory technologists, support and strengthen an effective specimen transportation system for CD4+, GeneXpert, viral load, Recency DNA PCR, HIV genotyping, hematological and biochemistry testing.
- Provide technical assistance/guidance on laboratory testing processes, infection prevention and control, and quality of HIV testing and HIV/TB care and treatment.
- Development, implement, and review laboratory standard operating procedures (SOPs) to be applied in HIV testing and treatment services.
- Co-ordinate performance and documentation of daily internal quality control and participation in external quality assessment in supported facilities.
- Design and lead project CQI initiatives and technical assistance to increase utilization and delivery of high-quality lab services.
- Ensure provision of consistent and structured technical assistance to facilities for enhanced service delivery and strengthened quality management services and support identified facilities towards upgrading and accreditation.
- Support M&E planning to answer key lab questions including assisting in the development and tracking of indicators.
- Participate in and provide technical assistance to national and regional lab Technical Working Groups (TWG), task teams, workshops, and campaigns.
- Liaise with relevant national MoH departments/divisions in availing and ensuring effective dissemination and uptake of relevant laboratory policies, service delivery guidelines, and standards as appropriate.
- Support strengthening of laboratory infrastructure, equipment, logistics, and procurement systems for sustainable and quality services.
- Co-ordinate participation of designated facilities in relevant EQA proficiency testing programs and dissemination of results as well as implementation of corrective action and preventive action measures.
- Support implementation of a quality improvement and data demand and information use framework aimed at improving county level capacity in reporting and utilization of data for enhanced service coverage.
- Provide mentorship/coaching on improving functionality of manual and electronic laboratory management information systems to enhance linkage of laboratory data to patient care data systems.
- Facilitate adoption and uptake by facilities of best practices in biosafety/biosecurity, infection prevention control, occupational health and safety, and health care waste management.
- Support strengthening of Laboratory Quality Management Systems (QMS) ensuring QA/QC/EQC systems are functional.
- Degree in Medical Laboratory Sciences.
- A Master’s degree will be an added advantage
- Minimum of seven years’ experience in implementing lab programs, with at least five years’ experience in implementation of HIV related medical laboratory activities in a donor funded project.
- Registered with KMLTTB.
- Experience in supporting laboratory activities in a donor funded project.
- Working knowledge of USG funded programs and reporting requirements.
- Documented evidence of HIV/AIDS laboratory training as part on continuing professional development.
- Dedicated team player with excellent interpersonal, communication, report writing and analytical skills.
- Ability to exhibit professionalism and high ethical standards.
- High level of integrity and able to maintain confidentiality.